Blog Post 1: What is DH?

After completing the readings from the textbook as well as the given websites I concluded that Digital Humanities is not just one thing and can not be simply defined in a sentence. The website we explored had hundreds of definitions for the same simple question; what is Digital Humanities? From my perspective, digital humanities is the use of technology and media to show the development and expression of humanity. While I understand that this definition is not concrete, I hope that as I continue with the class my understanding of Digital Humanities will change as well as my definition of it. 

Regarding what Digital Humanities is not, an example that I thought of was anything that is not provided in a digital format. Such as something that you visualize by yourself and do not put in media format. As well as things that are not in the humanities column, meaning ideas or topics that do not involve humans. Yet based on the articles written and the author’s opinions on the topic, it seems that what digital humanities is not is fairly lenient. In the way that the rules on digital humanities are not set in stone. Based on the articles that were provided my opinion was changed from my

previous ideas on what I believed digital humanities is. Prior to reading the articles I was unaware that digital humanities has been used for a long time as a form of knowledge. I did not realize how much people have learned over time using digital humanities. Digital humanities allows people to understand specific human patterns through the technology during that time. 

        An example of Digital humanities that has been used for the better is the ability to take written information and digitize it. By doing this people have access to information that they would not have been able to use if it had not been digitized. This has served as a valuable tool in history to gain knowledge that would not have been found without digital humanities. 

Comments

  1. I'm just going to change your formatting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preservation and digitization (as we'll read about this week) are so valuable for disseminating information that was previously thought only for the "scholarly" or "academic."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1: What is Digital Humanities?

What is Digital Humanities? Post #1 (Kira Littlefield)