What is Digital Humanities? Post #1 (Kira Littlefield)


Digital Humanities can be looked at in many different ways it seems. Based off the readings from the textbook, manifesto and website it seems Digital Humanities can have many definitions. If I were to define Digital Humanities I would say it is a technological way to look into and understand the cultural and historical aspects of society and the world. Trying to define Digital Humanities for me was difficult, and I am not even sure I am correct in my definition, but I know this class and the following readings will help me to either correct my definition or prove it even further. The definition I provided is just a starting ground for me.

Now trying to figure out what Digital Humanities isn't might be kind of difficult. Based off the readings from the textbook I can say that Digital Humanities isn't something that would purposefully include biases and or inequality. I am not saying that all Digital Humanities projects wouldn't have possibly some sort of biases or inequality, but the goal of Digital Humanities seems to be ideas or projects that work hard to not include biases or inequality. I feel that the manifesto and website seem to build off this idea produced in the textbook. Digital Humanities isn't something that would purposefully include bias or inequality because it seems that something like that would go against what people who work in Digital Humanities believe in. Now to be completely honest before starting this class I didn't have much of an idea of what Digital Humanities was or what it may include. Although after reading the textbook, manifesto, and website I feel I have a better grasp on what Digital Humanities is or what it isn't. This doesn't mean that the readings that come next won't change the idea that I have now on Digital Humanities.

"Building and/or using advanced digital technologies and methodologies to conduct research in the humanities." (Erin Snyder) This quote above is an example that I believe could be considered to be Digital Humanities or a definition of Digital Humanities. This quote was found on the "What is Digital Humanities?" website. Also this website below brings you to what I think may possibly be an example of Digital Humanities. https://www.unjustlyexposed.com/ 

Question:

* What definition of Digital Humanities do you think the textbook by Johanna Drucker is based off of?

Resources:

* What is Digital Humanities? (Website)

* The Digital Humanities Coursebook (By Johanna Drucker)

* The Digital Humanities Manifesto 2.0














Comments

  1. I like this idea of DH as a kind of technological lens through which we look into and understand... like DH colored glasses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your thoughts on how digital humanities can have many different definitions and mean different things to different people. I understand from the reading that digital humanities is just a bigger term or name for the concept as a whole and can be defined whoever one may choose. The book simplified the term digital humanities by breaking it apart into a digital aspect and humanity aspect. Using the readings and writings of humanities it is then digitized by codes and expressed digitally/online. I believe the quote you have found is a near perfect definition of what I personally think DH is about and used in real life every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate how you incorporated into your blog how trying to define what Digital Humanities "isn't" and how it is challenging because as we know it can be so many different things at the same time. I agree with you that the Manifesto 2.0 supports the idea that DH is not something that would be purposefully bias. After reading your passage I also feel like I have a better grasp on what Digital Humanities is or isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that trying to define what digital humanities is was a challenge. I think it is constantly evolving and ever changing the more projects and readings that are produced. I also like your interpterion of the idea that digital humanities tries to not incorporate any biases or inequality. It is striving to be a diverse technology that includes many voices, backgrounds, cultures, and histories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1: What is Digital Humanities?